Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Blog Post 8: Is Multiculturalism Anti-Racism?

Yawching writes of a personal incident that occurred in multicultural and diverse Toronto, downtown, near the University of Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, bustling traffic, and countless people, and high end shops. The author uses the experience to showcase the realism of the city – where 'traditional Canadian' would never reveal their true thoughts in public spheres, but when given the opportunity to be anonymous, their true colours come out. Yawching writes that this may be a result of 'traditional Canadians' not having attention brought to their concerns. Rather than be politically correct, the author concludes that we have conversations and educate the population.

O'Connell argues that celebrations of rural whiteness sustains and approves of the frontier narratives, where the homogeneity of rural areas re-affirms the myth that White European settlers were the original inhabitants of Canada. The author states that even though ethnic groups exist, rural White communities feel they have limited knowledge or experiences in dealing with diversities. The article focuses on The Redneck Games, essentially a celebration of White, Canadian culture, and how it is used to further the Canadian settler myth. The term 'redneck', was used to identify White working class or poor people who have rural and southern U.S. roots. Those who support The Redneck Games state that the term 'redneck' is transformed into pride, by embracing, instead of rejecting the label. This celebration of White, Canadian values is linked to a hate-crime committed near Minto, and the assault of Asian-Canadian anglers.

Yawching shares an experience all to common in the urban Ontario (Toronto), while O'Connell researches the going-ons in rural Ontario (Minto). Many people would brush off Yawching's experience as a 'one-off' incident – a singular bad apple, in an otherwise good batch. I would argue otherwise. I was walking downtown Toronto with a friend an Asian friend a few years ago, when we got into a discussion on whether Toronto is truly diverse as it makes it seem. We discussed how very rarely, do we come across a diverse group of friends.

Reflecting on that conversation, allowed me to recall a conversation with a White friend of mine. I asked him if he wanted to come to the Caribana festival, to which he replied, every White person in the city leaves when Caribana roles around. My friend said it in jest, but there was a lot of truth to his words. For all it's diversity, Toronto has ethnic pockets in the city – Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Italy, Little Portugal, Little Jamaica, and so forth.

In rural Ontario, areas that were once just as diverse as urban settings, Whites have essentially driven out the other groups. While reading about The Redneck Games, I was at first intrigued – it sounded like any other cultural festival I've gone to: interesting games, some songs and dance, food, drink, and so forth. What irked me was how the games were looked at by attendees as “good clean Canadian fun”. I bolded and italicized the word 'Canadian'. What about bobbing for pig's feet is Canadian? I don't know any Canadians who toss toilets, or serenade people with their armpits. Maybe they should refer to it as 'good clean rural fun'.

I somewhat disagree with O'Connell drawing links from The Redneck Games to crime against minorities. I feel I should hate myself for saying this, but it felt like more of a random hate-crime, then a byproduct of The Redneck Games. Making connections like these implies there is hate-mongering going on at this event – and I cannot fathom a Klan rally taking place without something major happening. And the term 'redneck', I agree with the sentiment of attendees, where they felt proud of the term, taking it back for their own use, reminded me of Black people taking back the n-word.

Urban or rural, the same problem exist – non-Whites are yet to be accepted into 'Canadian' society. We are seen as stereotypes, the Other. Yawching and O'Connell state that we should not simply accept this, but hold conversations, challenge the histories we are taught, and become better educated on the issues. I think the best way to do this, is to learn about each other through actual multiculturalism. Go to various events celebrating different cultures, make friends and interact with people of various cultures, get different viewpoints, and most importantly, have an open mind. In this regards, I think that multiculturalism is anti-racism, or at the very least, a start.

Questions:
I have an idea of what the answers for these questions would be, but...
What IS White, Canadian culture? What are White Canadians really celebrating?
Why is it difficult for people to celebrate those who are different?

Sorry if the blog post seems like more of a ramble. There were a lot of thoughts going through my head, that I wanted to get down, and hopefully, get across. All this being said, I may check out The Redneck Games in the near future, mainly for entertainment purposes, and some educational reasons as well.

References:

Yawching, D. (2013, October 27). The silent racism of 'post racial' Canada: Canada's multicultural rhetoric is skin-deep illusion. The Toronto Star. Retrieved from http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2013/10/27/the_silent_racism_of_post_racial_canada.html

O'Connell, A. (2010). An exploration of redneck Whiteness in multicultural Canada, Social Politics, 17(4), 536-563

No comments:

Post a Comment